Almost every poduct in Le Vestiaire du Renard is pre-owned.
I. Product condition typology.
Although the articles we select are by essence meant to last for years, they may present some flaws. We do our best to point them out by displaying pictures of them in every product page, if relevant, and also by giving you a general idea of the product’s condition. Here are the different condition categories we use :
- Brand new – the product has not (or very little) been worn, and shows no apparent imperfections.
- Excellent – the product has little been worn or used. It can show some very discrete signs of use, which can only be noticed upon careful inspection.
- Good – the product shows some signs of use and/or reached half of its lifespan due to wear.
- Average – the product shows obvious flaws and/or is beyond the second half of its lifespan due to wear. It can still be worn, however.
- As it is – the product can hardly be worn in its current condition due to its bad condition. But, once restored, it can potentially last several more years.
Our products are delivered cleaned : jackets, suits and coats are steamed, knitwear, shirts and scarves are hand or machine-washed.
II. Bespoke, made-to-measure and ready-to-wear.
From bespoke, made-to-measure and ready-to-wear, we, at Le Vestiaire du Renard, do everything we can to offer quality, full or half canvassed garments.
Since the use of the terme bespoke is being debated, let us precise what we mean when we say some garments are bespoke.
By bespoke, we mean a garment made by a tailor for an individual, with a pattern drafted from craft for the customer. Bespoke garments are fully canvassed. A high proportion, if not all of the product is made by hand (buttonholes, linings, canvas construction…), but some operations can be machine made (some parts of the trousers or linings, for example): when tailors did not yet disappear, most of the local, unknown ones used to use machines. And after all, even the most well-known tailors machine sew a part of their garments (Camps de Luca machine sew the inside of their pockets, and Smalto a part of the jacket’s lining).
Made-to-measure (also refered as ‘tailored’) jackets and suits are the following:
Items which have been crafted by a tailor for an individual with a predefined pattern. Made-to-measure garments are usually moderately to highly made by hand. The canvas construction can be hand or machine sewn, full or partial. Made-to-measure offers a good quality/durability compromise beetween ready-to-wear and bespoke.
Ready-to-wear can be fused or canvassed. A ready-to-wear garment can sometimes be as well-crafted as a made-to-measure one in terms of hand craft, canvas construction and quality (a Brioni jacket is for instance fully canvassed, mostly made by hand, including buttonholes).